Fort Leavenworth, KS
Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama on Tuesday commuted the sentence of Chelsea Manning, who was convicted of stealing and disseminating 750,000 pages of documents and videos to WikiLeaks.
Congratulations to Chelsea Manning. After enduring torture by her own troops and 2 suicide attempts, she finally gets vindicated for the shrewd and heroic work exposing the demented systemic wanton corruption, brutality and pillaging during the occupation of Iraq and all those who profited at the expense of thousands of troops killed and maimed, millions of citizens slaughtered, disenfranchised and displaced and the subsequent and inevitable rise of the resurgency which led to the religious zealot gangsters that is ISIS.
Once she gets out in May, she should get a parade down the Canyon of Heroes here in NY for the duty she served and for her love of this country by releasing these damning files to Wikileaks. The way she did it was almost comical but totally natural considering the hubris of her commanders in the Pentagon, Congress and the White House for continuing this retarded quagmire, she put it on a cd-rw labeled for Lady Gaga and a measly 1.6 gb thumb drive.
And what a massive amount of disgraceful data it held, enough that will ruin the credibility of this nation for a lifetime.
- During the Iraq War, U.S. authorities failed to investigate hundreds of reports of abuse, torture, rape, and murder by Iraqi police and soldiers, according to thousands of field reports.
- There were 109,032 “violent deaths” recorded in Iraq between 2004 and 2009, including 66,081 civilians. Leaked records from the Afghan War separately revealed coalition troops’ alleged role in killing at least 195 civilians in unreported incidents, one reportedly involving U.S. service members machine-gunning a bus, wounding or killing 15 passengers.
- The U.S. Embassy in Paris advised Washington to start a military-style trade war against any European Union country that opposed genetically modified crops, with U.S. diplomats effectively working directly for GM companies such as Monsanto.
- British and American officials colluded in a plan to mislead the British Parliament over a proposed ban on cluster bombs.
- In Baghdad in 2007, a U.S. Army helicopter gunned down a group of civilians, including two Reuters news staff
- U.S. special operations forces were conducting offensive operations inside Pakistan despite sustained public denials and statements to the contrary by U.S. officials.
- A leaked diplomatic cable provided evidence that during an incident in 2006, U.S. troops in Iraq executed at least 10 Iraqi civilians, including a woman in her 70s and a 5-month-old, then called in an airstrike to destroy the evidence. The disclosure of this cable was later a significant factor in the Iraqi government’s refusal to grant U.S. troops immunity from prosecution beyond 2011, which led to U.S. troops withdrawing from the country.
- A NATO coalition in Afghanistan was using an undisclosed “black” unit of special operations forces to hunt down targets for death or detention without trial. The unit was revealed to have had a kill-or-capture list featuring details of more than 2,000 senior figures from the Taliban and al-Qaida, but it had in some cases mistakenly killed men, women, children, and Afghan police officers.
- The U.S. threatened the Italian government in an attempt to influence a court case involving the indictment of CIA agents over the kidnapping of an Egyptian cleric. Separately, U.S. officials were revealed to have pressured Spanish prosecutors to dissuade them from investigating U.S. torture allegations, secret “extraordinary rendition” flights, and the killing of a Spanish journalist by U.S. troops in Iraq.
- In apparent violation of a 1946 U.N. convention, Washington initiated a spying campaign in 2009 that targeted the leadership of the U.N. by seeking to gather top officials’ private encryption keys, credit card details, and biometric data.
So raise whatever you’re holding, a beer, a shot, a fist, or take a pull from a joint, bong, pipe or blunt for the soon to be released from an unjustified, spiteful and stupid conviction of Ms. Chelsea Manning.
This is for you babe.